The City of Monterey Park welcomes you to its business community. Starting a business can be exciting and challenging. We wish you great success in your new venture!

The City of Monterey Park requires all businesses operating within the City limits to obtain a business license and pay business license tax prior to commencing business operations.

The easiest and fastest way to apply for a new business license or renew your current license is using the online filing method. To begin, simply click on the “start now” button located on the right of this page. From the main menu please select the “apply” option to submit a new application for your business.

If you need further assistance applying for a business license, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (626) 376-4680. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST).


Transient Occupancy Tax Assessment returns for Hotels and Short-Term Rentals (STRS) can now be submitted via mail, e-mail, online, and by phone to simplify your quarterly reporting. To submit your TOT online please click the “Start Now” button found on the right and select the “File” option to begin your quarterly filing process.

If you need further assistance, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (626) 559-6233. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST).


What is a Business License?

A business license is an annual business tax for doing business within the City limits. The City of Monterey Park Municipal Code (Section 5.08.010) requires that you obtain a license when you conduct any business activity within the City, even if your business is located outside of the City limits or if you have a business license from another City. Businesses that are based in the City must also have a business license. This includes home based businesses, building contractors, independent contractors, and non-profit businesses.

Business license taxes and fees help pay for City services like roads, fire, police and other community services. These services benefit businesses, business owners, and the general public.

When should an application be submitted?

You are required to obtain a business license within 15 days of the commencement of business in the City of Monterey Park. Penalties will apply if applications are received after this 15-day period. Thereafter, business licenses renew every year on December 31st and taxes and fees are due by January 31st.

Where to Start

    • If you prepare or sell food contact the Los Angeles County Health Dept.
    • If using a fictitious name or dba, contact the Los Angeles County Clerks Office.
    • If you buy or sell, tangible goods contact the State Board of Equalization.
    • If you need an employer tax ID contact the I.R.S. and Franchise Tax Board.

City of Monterey Park
C/O HdL Support Center
8839 N. Cedar Ave. #212 • Fresno, CA 93720